THINKING ABOUT YOUR COMMUNITY

Grade PreK-2
What does community mean to you? I think of the people around me, whether it is my neighborhood, my home or my work. I also think of the things in my community: buildings, landscapes, hallways, classrooms, or rooms in my house.

Pick a place to explore. It could be your room or another room in your house, it could be an outdoor space, a playhouse, tree house, favorite spot in your yard, or even the center of your town. Think about what kinds of things you have in this space and what makes it special to you.

Draw a map or picture of this space. Add the people who are with you in this space or animals and plants, etc.
What would you change about this space? For an added challenge, draw another picture of the space but with your changes. It could become a room full of stuffies or a field full of all different kinds of flowers and butterflies. You get to decide. Have fun and be creative.

Here are a few examples of maps and drawings of a neighborhood. You can make it as simple or as complex as you’d like.

Grade 3-6

Pick a path that you take, or used to take when you were in school. For example, you could draw the path from your classroom to the art room, or the path from the cafeteria to the playground, or a path from your room to the kitchen in your house.

Look at the following lesson, including the steps to the assignment and the resources I’ve included. You might find the resources helpful when planning your map of your path or in thinking about your community.

It’s been a long time since we were in school. It might be a challenge to remember exactly what is along the path you choose to draw.
Have fun and be creative.
Don’t forget to share your art with me!

My Path

CommunityConnections

AllAboutCommunity